Thursday, February 11, 2010

Two sizes of socks



On the tiny side: Little baby socks, pattern sized down from WendyKnits gusset sock pattern.

On the giant side: Elizabeth Zimmermann's Harf/Scat in Knitpicks Shimmer in Eucalyptus.
You make a headsized sock toe, knit a scarf, make another sock toe. Then you have a scarf that is a hat, or a hat that is a scarf. Mine is a short scarf. I reached a point where I realized that I would need to buy another skein if it was to be a long scarf, or I could have about a 4 footer, that would fold into a nice "4 layers of alpaca over the ears" hat. Then I realized that the yarn had perfectly striped into 3 colour 2 row wide stripes. And, lets face it, a new skein wouldn't continue the pattern, besides, a new skein would be Buying Yarn. So I went for the hat.

On a side note - when I was kvetching to TAO about the striping *What IS it about yarns that pattern?* He said that it's not the yarn, it's my eye. I'm so trained to look for thrombus that my eye picks out patterns to match up, and that's why I can see colour repeats. Okay, great for work, but really...not so much for the knitting.

1 comment:

ChelleC said...

Cute little socks, that for sure. How are you doing?