Friday, January 22, 2010

Sock-ra-tee

Yes,I went there - it was a good day for a bad pun.

There has been a recent thread on Ravelry about Frog it or Finish it. I didn't join into the fray, but it did make me think about UFOs that are languishing. Among them was a 1/3 done shrug in The Knittery's Merino Cashmere Sock. Great shrug pattern, some nice examples finished on Rav, but really...would I wear it? When it's 8F outside, 64F inside; I'm not wearing a lacy shrug, I'm wearing polar fleece lined jeans, REI basegear shirts and a windfleece sweatshirt. (If I'm going to the basement, add wristwarmers and a hat.)

Looking at the middle ground between la girlie and le popsicle, I decided to knit a long sleeve Tee. I wanted something snug fitting to function as a baselayer, yet pretty under a cardigan. It took about 750 yards of sock yarn. I love it, but if I were to knit it again I think I would do seamless circular knitting with raglan shaping because the arm seams seem just a widget tight. Oh well, that can serve as motivation to shape up! The cashmere adds just that touch of mental shashay - mmmn, cashmere, yet the sock yarn aspect makes it more wearable - oh no, cashmere!

How about y'all? What do you have languishing that could be something useful?

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love that sweater! It looks great and the color is fabulous.