Warning: the following contains content that may not be appropriate for all audiences. There are brief references to violence and destruction.
I started March with these: My first socks. Made the first time in 2002 out of Kroy Winter Eclipse. Yes, I wore them. But they were too tight at the cast on edge of the cuff. So after a long spell of wearing them with the cuff folded over, I dug from the stash the remainder of the two balls. Mind you now this was a couple of complete household moves later.
I picked back the cast on and re-worked the leg, adding a few inches more to it. Lovely springy bind off and went off into the world. Well now they slithered down into the shoe. But they were soft and cushiony and warm. And look at the colours.
So that brings these poor socks to 2008. Ill fitting and loved but not utilised as much as I would like. I finally figured out that the FOOT was the wrong size. Yeah, hard to believe I have a highly technical and responsible job, eh? (Violence ahead) I cut off the toes and heels, which by now were quite felted and worn. Then unraveled the remaining 3 segments of each sock. Washed it, wound it into balls and knit these...
I used the Fan toe from Crazy Toes and Heels, the foot and heel from Judy Gibson's Putting me On socks. (one of my favourite patterns) and did the Twin Rib from Sensational Socks for the leg. I still ended up with a 7" leg and now have lovely socks that will make me smile when I think of them.
I will confess that I have 2 more balls of this exact colour in my stash and could have just made socks from those, but these poor socks looked so sad in my drawer that it made the Holmes on homes experience necessary.