Thursday, April 01, 2010

April Fool

I don't usually review a fiction book here, but after foolishly staying up late to finish it I decided to give it a go. (Blame it on sleep deprivation)

Divas Don't Knit isn't my usual flavour of novel. No dead bodies, no puzzles, no scenes of hiding from the killer. But as it was a library book and therefore infinitely affordable I decided to give it a go.

I hereby declare it enchanting, and the characters have me looking forward to the sequel. It is a "life drama" book, but without the whiny co-dependence so often displayed in those books. (There's one book about a real life divorcee and her knitting that still makes me want to slap the author while telling her to grow up.)

Jo is the recently widowed mother of two who uproots her life to move to a small seaside town because of finances. Rather than being a 341 page snivel about the pain/unfairness of life, it's a funny and generous look at how change happens...for good and bad.

If you are a fan of the drama and angst in Bridget Jones & it's ilk, you may not enjoy this book. But if you are a "get up when life slaps you down" kinda gal, it's "stay up late to finish" worthy.

And...as a bonus...there's knitting out the kazoo.

1 comment:

ChelleC said...

Hmm today must be a reading kind of day. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for the recommend.

And you don't like drama - after I just dumped a whole bunch of my drama onto you yesterday via email. Sorry. (ducking)

My cell phone is up and running if you want to dump on me to pay me back?