Thursday, September 20, 2007

Who Me ?!!?

So last Thursday I was so sick of being sick that I decided to go to Kitchener Show and Tell at Linda's Store. That was fun and made me feel less guilty about my own Kitchener purchases. While I was there I picked up 2 balls of Kaleidoscope which is from a new yarn line she is carrying.It's a loosely spun single, a little wooly, and probably felts like magic. I swatched during show and tell, then spent the night having little yarn pattern dreams. I like striping yarns, but don't like how they stripe on one piece of a project and pool on the narrow parts of the project. I only bought 2 balls at 174 yds each, and I don't want a felted bag. (as an aside, it would be a lovely felted bag.)

So those mental guidelines led to this.....









Followed by the sucking up of my tonsils while I did this:


to the center front and both armholes. (And a special place in heaven for the ladies at the Sewing store who let me use their demo machine to stitch the steeks.)

Still alcohol free I picked up and worked front band and two armholes, hand stitched the facing down, finished it Tuesday night and found a photographer this morning.


This is one of those beginners luck things, I'd never steeked before and didn't know it had to be stranded and fine gauge. But this worked just fine so far. But you can bet it will be hand washed. So if the thought of steeks makes you say "Who Me ?!!?" perhaps you need a fast and easy project like this. The cost and time were negligible and gave me a nice weekend vest to wear with jeans. I am short waisted but the vest came out 17 inches long with yarn left over.




And, I am not responsible for those of you who went to the Elegant Yarn website and mistakenly clicked on the Athena laceweight (more like cobweb) at 1000 yds for $10.00. If anyone makes anything out of the Fantasy yarn I want to see it though.

4 comments:

ChelleC said...

Wow, that is really darling! How did you finish the edges? I love your bravery in steeking. The vest is darling.

Karen said...

That came out cute! I haven't been brave enough to try steeking yet. I have always wanted to make Stefanie Japel's top down steeked cardigan though. It's been on my to-do list for years.

Jennifer said...

Ahh!! You steeked! I'm too much of a big checken.

Jenny said...

I am going to try this one day--just not today. You are brave, oh wise one. ;)